10 December 2009

Martin James Does it for Charity

BBC Broad Caster Martin, continuously works for charity and so I though it only fitting to post his recent activity here.
I have just returned from Dubai where I took part in the The Smile Train Run a 10K run!!. I’m not sure how familiar you are with this charity but The Smile Train is the world’s largest and most effective cleft charity, for as little as $250 and in just 45 minutes, this true, modern-day medical miracle can change a child’s life forever. http://www.smiletrain.org/goto/milesforsmiles09 The run raised $50,000-00 also it was announced that Dubai Duty Free had donated a million and a half dollars. All in all it was a very satisfying.
Before going off to Dubai I organised a concert for my other Charities During the past few years with so many servicemen coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan I felt I should also try to generate extra funds for the Army Benevolent Fund. and Crossroad Care as I work quite hard for both charities. Also any serviceman home on leave from Afghanistan can have a free days fishing on some 2 miles of the river Ribble I look after, its a salmon sea and brown trout water, plus some good chub,
The idea of the concert which was a great success and a sell out, come about when I took comedian singer song writer Phil Cool fishing for a week in Berkshire on the River Kennet. During the week Phil caught some good fish including chub of 5-13-0 6-7-0 and a whopping barbel of 14-15-0. At the end of the trip Phil said "What do I owe you" I said "Just make a donation to one of these charities". After a few minutes Phil said "I will better than that, I will do a free concert" Then Tewitfield Fishery owner Les Bratsby said "Our band O'Connor's Fusiliers will give an hour". Everyone agreed it was a great evening and as several people told me its all down to the kindness and generosity of fisherman. The sale of Phil Cool's DVD's raised £198-00, Split between both charities. I am told the The Army Benevolent Fund boxes raised just over £94-00 I spoke with the manager of the Grand today who will have a final total for me from ticket sales early next week, its seems both charities will receive over a £1,000-00 each. It was so popular I plan to make it an annual event.

1 comment:

  1. MegaSavingCoupons is the largest consumer discounted coupon service provider in Illinois. There are varieties of deals for you in our website. We have huge selections of discounts on Local Restaurants, Electronic Items, Spas, Hotels, Health and Fitness in Illinois, USA. Check on website and grab your daily deals.

    ReplyDelete